The U18 Girls (1998) OYSL Soccer Team Graduates!
The Pickering Soccer Club would like to congratulate the 2016 Graduating Class U18 Girls OYSL Soccer Team. Often flying under the radar, this team can boast being one of the most consistent and successful programs in Pickering Soccer Club history. Qualifying for the OYSL at U13, they have remained at the highest level of competitive youth soccer in Ontario all the way through to U18. Among the many league games, tournaments and showcases, this team boasts an impressive record that includes:
- 1 National Championship Appearance
- 3 Ontario Cup Finals, 4 Ontario Cup Semi-finals
- 3 Robbie Cup Championships
- Pickering Soccer Club’s Program of the Year 2012 (U14)
- Participants in the highest level of showcase tournaments including the Dallas Cup, the ESPN Disney Showcase, the Crossroads of America Showcase in Indiana, as well as the Toronto Umbro Showcase, the largest one in Canada.
Congratulations also to the Coaches, Assistant Coaches, Managers, Trainers and Treasurers. Creating a successful program year after year would not be possible without the support staff and all the volunteer help. Special recognition to the 3 different Coaching Staffs of the 1998 Pickering Soccer Green:
- Ritchie Lissone, Franco Taverna and Jas Mangat (U8-U12): Richie and Jas took the task of being their first rep coaches to heart. They took this group of young, talented 8 – 12 year old local girls and showed them what is was to love and enjoy the game of soccer. Taking their natural talent they began to develop the skills necessary to become a top youth team.
- Barry Donnelly & Franco Taverna (U13-U14): During these critical years in youth soccer, Barry and Franco gave them the structure, the work ethic, and the team dynamic to not only qualify for the OYSL but also qualify for the National Championships, proving they were one of the best U14 teams in the country.
- Paul Deabreu (U15-U18): With more roster changes and the girls maturing into young ladies, Paul was able to maintain the high standards of this team with 2 more Ontario Cup finals while showcasing the team for those that wanted to pursue their soccer career into University.
- Team Managers over the years were Lisa Chin-A-Loy, Jennifer Davis, Judith McCartney, Pauline Wells, Joanne Remedios, Michelle Peterson, and Don Smart.
Over the years, as with every team, there have been players that come and go. Proudly, this team has been comprised of players from the Pickering Soccer Club from a very young age all the way to U18. Pickering Soccer would like to recognize some of the long standing players who have been with PSC and played on this graduating team:
- Stasi T – U4 – U18 – 14 years at PSC – Continuing her soccer career on scholarship at FDU in New Jersey
- Kristin P – U5– U16 – 11 years at PSC
- Kendra M (now with Alliance member Oshawa Kicks SC) – U4-U15 – 11 years at PSC, continuing her soccer career on scholarship at Western University
- Anna T – U4-U14 – 10 years at PSC
- Stephanie L (now with Woodbridge SC) – U5 – U15 – 10 years at PSC: Continuing her soccer career on scholarship at York University
- Nicole R – U9 – U18 – 9 years at PSC – Continuing her soccer career on scholarship at Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, MI
- Jordyn D – U8 – U17 – 9 years at PSC
- Victoria M – U11 – U18 – 7 years at PSC – Continuing her soccer career on scholarship at Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI
- Jackson B – 6 years at PSC – continuing her soccer career on scholarship at FDU in New Jersey.
- Jessica S – U13-U18, 6 years at PSC
- Zoe B – (now with FC Durham Academy) – U10-U15 – 5 years at PSC, continuing her soccer career on scholarship at McKendree University
- Maddie C – U14 – U18 – 5 years at PSC, continuing her soccer career on scholarship at West Virginia Wesleyan, Buckhannon, WV
- Aaliyah P – U14-U18 – 5 years at PSC
- Kirsten W – U15-U18 – 4 years at PSC, continuing her soccer career on scholarship at Laurier University
- Sydney V – U4-U14 – 10 years at PSC
- Hailey W – U4-U14 – 10 years at PSC
- Christina P (now with Oshawa Kicks) – U4-U12 – 8 years at PSC
Along with the players and staff it’s important to note that none of their achievements would be possible without the support and encouragement of a fantastic group of parents. Thank You!
It has always been a goal of Pickering Soccer to attract and develop players of all ages and all levels of play. The girls 1998 Pickering Power Green team is an amazing example of a Pickering Soccer team that started at the grassroots level and worked its way to the top level in youth soccer. To every player that has worn the ’98 Power Green jersey, good luck in all your future goals, whether in soccer or otherwise.
Congratulations, Class of 2016!