Soccer in Schools
Pickering Soccer Club’s program, Building Community and Social Inclusion through Soccer, developed young leaders by funding the delivery of FUNdamental coach and referee certification courses to grade 11 and 12 students in the City of Pickering.
Once qualified, the new coaches and referees delivered a block of sessions in local elementary schools connecting young children with older peers/role models. The program culminated in an elementary schools festival, for students of all abilities, planned, delivered, coached, and officiated by the high school students.
Program Benefits to Students
- Gained leadership and management skills
- Obtained Coaching or Refereeing certifications at no cost
- Engaged with the Community
- Received community service hours
- Potential future coaching or refereeing job opportunity at the Pickering Soccer Club
Thanks to the generous support of the Ontario Trillium Foundation and the Pickering Soccer Club, the Soccer in Schools program was free in 2019.
For more information about Soccer in Schools, please contact: Matt Greenwood